Margaritas are one of our favorite drinks to prepare in the summer months, especially when we have company over. We’ve made a lot of drinks over the years, and this is our favorite recipe for spicy jalapeño margaritas. Whip up a batch for yourself, or for your family and friends the next time you have a gathering. You can easily scale this recipe up for more drinks.
While this recipe is intended to be served on the rocks, you can make it blended as well. Serve these margaritas alongside tacos, burritos, or chips and guacamole and everyone will be satisfied. These are perfect for a summer BBQ, or whipped up just because a margarita craving decided to strike.
Jalapeño margarita recipe tips
- Use fresh jalapeño peppers. Using fresh peppers from the garden or farmers market will result in a spicier drink.
- Use a good tequila. We like using a Blanco tequila such as Casamigos.
- If you’re looking to level up the flavor and spice of your margarita, try rimming your glasses with our habanero sugar.
- Use fresh lime juice – It really does make all the difference when you’re making a margarita.
- The spice for the margarita comes from soaking the sliced peppers in the tequila. This can easily be adjusted. If you’re looking for just a touch of spice, don’t soak the peppers at all, or soak them for only a few minutes. If you’re looking for a lot of spice, soak the pepper slices for at least 10 minutes.
- Invest in a drink shaker. If you find yourself making cocktails more than once a year, it’s worth getting a drink shaker. This helps distribute all the ingredients and flavors for the best drink possible.
- If you don’t want to use simple syrup in your margarita, you can use agave nectar or honey as well. However, the flavor will vary depending on what you use to sweeten the drink.
Let us know if you made this margarita and how it turned out, as well as any variations you may have made. It’s one of our favorite summer drinks to cool off when the days are warmer. Plus, who doesn’t love margaritas?
- 1.5 oz. Blanco tequila
- 1.5 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz. orange liqueur / triple sec
- .25 oz. simple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 jalapeño pepper sliced
- Slice the jalapeño into rounds.
- Soak the slices of jalapeño in the tequila for at least 5 minutes. This step is optional, but recommended if you would like a spicier drink. Remove peppers before shaking.
- Rim glasses with sugar or salt based on preference.
- Add jalapeño-infused tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur and syrup to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake for 45 seconds and pour into glasses.
- Serve with a slice of lime and enjoy!
Wednesday 3rd of May 2023
We can up you one on this with a delicious variation served by a restaurant chain in southern CA called, Lunas. They make a spicey margarita by adding muddled jalapeno and cucumber. It's quite delicious.
Wednesday 3rd of May 2023
That looks amazing!!