Homemade salsa verde is incredibly easy to make, and it tastes so much better than the jars you buy at the store. Made with fresh jalapeño peppers and tomatillos, our jalapeño salsa verde recipe is one that we make on a regular basis.
It’s similar to our jalapeño hot sauce recipe, but it includes an additional (and very important) ingredient, tomatillos.
Perfect for dipping a chip or dressing up a burrito, you can’t go wrong with a fresh, bright verde sauce. In fact, you can use this in any application you would use hot sauce or salsa. Fried eggs? Absolutely! Chicken and rice? Definitely!
What is salsa verde?
Salsa verde is a spicy green sauce that dates all the way back to the Aztec Empire. It’s typically served alongside Mexican cuisine, but you can use it to spice up any dish you’d like.
The star ingredients are the green tomatillos and chili peppers. If you’re looking for a salsa verde without tomatillos, you may want to try a traditional red salsa instead.
How to use this salsa verde
You can use this recipe on any dish you would use traditional red salsa or even hot sauce. Here are some ideas how to use this salsa verde:
- On scrambled or fried eggs, or on a breakfast burrito
- Alongside classic tortilla chips
- Mixed into any rice dish
- With enchiladas
- Use it to top nachos or quesadillas
- Add it to a sandwich for some extra zing
- Use it to top cooked fish, chicken, or pork
This recipe is easy to scale if you’re preparing it for a crowd. So, you can make a large batch without much more effort.
Tip: Our salsa verde recipe is raw, so there is no cooking involved. If you dislike the taste of raw onions, peppers, or tomatillos, char them on the grill or in a cast iron skillet before blending.
How to make our jalapeño salsa verde
- 2-3 fresh jalapeño peppers – Use 2 large peppers or 3 small. You can swap one out for a serrano for extra heat.
- 6 oz tomatillos – Use fresh tomatillos that are firm and green.
- Garlic – Use 1 large clove or 2 small cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- Cumin – We like the way cumin compliments the zingy flavors. You can also experiment with other herbs and spices
Step 1: Dehusk the tomatillos and remove the stems from the jalapeños. Roughly chop the onions and peel the garlic.
Step 2: Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. Blend at low to medium speed to prevent an airy texture in the salsa. You may need to scrape the sides down once or twice.
Step 3: Taste and season with additional salt, pepper, or spices as desired.
Step 4: Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days in the fridge.
How do I make this salsa verde spicier?
To make it spicier, replace one of the jalapenos with a serrano pepper. If you want it extra spicy, add in a whole habanero pepper before blending.
What other spices should I add?
This is a great base recipe. You can experiment with smoked paprika, more garlic, or even chipotle powder. When experimenting, start with small amounts and gradually add more.
Can I cook this recipe?
If you dislike the taste of the ingredients raw, you can char them in a cast iron skillet (or on the grill) before blending. Leave the peppers whole and chop the tomatillos and onion into large chunks. Cook for over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes before blending.
- Protect your hands – Be sure to use gloves or clean your hands thoroughly after handling the hot peppers. The spice may transfer to your skin and can result in an unpleasant surprise if you rub your eyes after handling them.
- Choosing the best tomatillos – Look for the tomatillos that are still in their husks, have a bright green color, and are firm.
- Add avocado – For a creamier consistency, add in some avocado and blend thoroughly with the other ingredients. Be sure to blend below medium speed to prevent salsa from having a smoothie-like texture.
Jalapeño Salsa Verde
- 6 oz tomatillo
- 2-3 jalapeño peppers
- 1/3 white onion
- garlic 1 large clove or 2 small
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper a few cracks
- Dehusk the tomatillos and destem the jalapeños. Cut the onions and peel the garlic.
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. Blend at low to medium speed to prevent an airy texture in the salsa verde. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Taste and season with additional salt, pepper, and spices as needed.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days in the fridge.