Buffalo chicken dip made with Frank’s is the perfect party appetizer. From football parties to New Year’s Eve gatherings, you really can’t go wrong with this easy slow cooker crowd pleaser.
Made with only 5 simple ingredients, it’s a breeze to throw together and will quickly become your new favorite dip. We like using the slow cooker for this recipe as it is much easier to keep warm (and the perfect dippable consistency).
- Shredded chicken breast – For an easy dip with incredible flavor, use rotisserie chicken. Rotisserie chicken has been brined and seasoned, adding extra flavor to the final product. You can also use canned chicken or boiled and shredded chicken breasts.
- Frank’s wing sauce – The secret to our Buffalo chicken dip? Using Frank’s Wing Sauce. Wing sauce has a more rich, buttery taste, adding a savory flavor that coats the chicken and gives it a classic, silky texture. If you can’t find wing sauce, simply add 2 Tbsp. melted salted butter to 1 cup of Frank’s hot sauce.
- Cream cheese – You can use full fat cream cheese or a lighter version without much difference in flavor. Be sure to let the cream cheese come to room temperature so that it melts nice and evenly.
- Sour cream – Sour cream adds heaps of volume and a lighter texture to the dip. It can also be swapped out for Greek yogurt without losing taste or quality. If you prefer, you can use bottled ranch dressing instead of sour cream. Simply skip the addition of the powdered dressing.
- Powdered ranch dressing – Powdered dressing is usually found in small packets in the salad dressing aisle. It’s a very versatile seasoning that adds tons of flavor to this party food.
How To Make Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Prepare ranch dressing by combining 1 ½ tablespoons of the ranch powder mix with ½ cup of sour cream. Set aside
- Cut room temperature cream cheese into large cubes.
- Combine chicken, cream cheese, Frank’s Wing Sauce, and ranch dressing into the slow cooker and set on high.
- At the 30 minute mark give your dip a stir and let it cook for another 30 minutes. Then, turn off your slow cooker or set put it on the warm setting.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips, celery sticks, or sliced bell peppers.
Note: You can also cook this dip on low for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
FAQ & Recipe Tips
How can I make Buffalo chicken dip in the oven?
You can make this recipe in the oven by combining all the ingredients, covering with foil, and baking for 25 minutes at 375°F.
Can I make Buffalo chicken dip ahead of time?
Yes you can make this dip ahead of time. Place dip in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When ready to reheat, preheat your oven to 375°F, place in an oven-safe container, cover with foil, and let cook for about 20 to 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
Can I freeze Buffalo chicken dip?
Yes you can freeze this dip. Use a zip-lock freezer bag and make sure to push all of the air out as you seal in your dip. You want to prevent the cold air from touching the dip and causing freezer burn. When it’s time to reheat, place the frozen dip in the refrigerator to thaw about two days before you plan to use it. Then, follow the reheating instructions listed above.
How do I store Buffalo chicken dip?
You can store this dip in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or oven and serve warm.
What can I do with leftover Buffalo chicken dip?
If you happen to have leftover dip (which rarely happens in our household), here are some ideas for using it up:
- Use it as a spread on your favorite sandwich.
- Make Buffalo chicken quesadillas or hot sliders.
- Add lettuce and bread to make Buffalo chicken roll-ups or wraps.
- Level up your favorite mac & cheese recipe.
- For a denser/richer dip, add 1 cup of shredded cheese to the recipe. You can also add a sprinkle on top for presentation. Who doesn’t love a good cheese pull?
- Want more heat? Drizzle hot sauce over the top of the dip so it hits the taste buds first.
- If you need more dip for a larger party, this recipe easily doubles and will cook well in any size slow cooker.
- Top with blue cheese crumbles or a drizzle of extra ranch dressing for added flavor. Want some crunch? Try fried onions or fresh green onions.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 3 cups shredded chicken breast we recommend rotisserie
- 1 ½ cups ®Frank’s Wing Sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ Tbsp. powdered ranch mix
- Prepare the ranch dressing by combining 1 ½ Tbsp. of powdered ranch mix with ½ cup of sour cream. Set aside
- Cut softened cream cheese into large cubes.
- Combine shredded chicken, cream cheese, wing sauce and ranch dressing into the slow cooker. Set on high.
- At the 30 minute mark, give your dip a stir and let it cook for another 30 minutes. Turn off your slow cooker and set to "warm."
- Serve warm.
Let us know how you like our slow-cooker Buffalo chicken dip. You’ll want to keep this recipe in your back pocket for the next time you’re hosting a game night. It’s one of our go-to appetizers and tastes better than any premade dip you can buy in a grocery store.
Crystalyn loves spicy food and getting creative in the kitchen. When she isn’t finding new ways to use hot sauce, shes very busy watching cat videos on the internet.